Sunday, March 31, 2013

Have a Great Week with Cultural Events

Do you ever just have a great week? The past two weeks have been great for me!

I've had tons of energy at work. I sit at a desk in an office eight hours a day, and I've been dancing in my chair for days. I've been in a great mood and I've become better friends with my co-workers. There are a few reasons I think I'm feeling so good.

1. I've actually had some semblance of a social life the past couple weeks. I've pulled myself out of my shell and done some new things and met some new people. Even a campfire in the canyon!

2. I've actually slept this week! Despite waking up at 5:15 a.m. to go to the gym 4 days.

3. Nothing but my Zumba and MC Yogi Pandora stations have graced my ears at work this week. This means plenty of dancing in my chair. A plus - MC Yogi played LIVE at the Holi Festival of Colors this weekend!

4. I realized last week that I've somehow taken on the role of a shy, introverted girl who has a hard time making friends. When I realized this I decided to snap out of it. And then I proved to myself that I can be outgoing and can make friends and be fun. I don't know why that shy girl stuck around so long, but I think she's gone for good. This is much more fun.

5. The FHE group I'm in charge of is super fun. Even if I'm not in the mood to host FHE, when they show up at my house I'm instantly happier. It's always a night of laughing.

7. Comcast screwed us over and every channel I did watch (ahem...HGTV) is now gone, so there's absolutely nothing to watch on TV. This means much less wasted time sitting on the couch and more time being productive.

6. I've discovered culture in Provo!

I went to the Nrityagram Dance Ensemble with my cousin Ivy a couple weeks ago, which was a traditional Indian dance performance. Considering I'm obsessed with all things India, it was a mesmerizing, enlightening night.



Then Chani and I went to a Peter Pan ballet performed by the Utah Regional Ballet last weekend. Peter Pan is my favorite story of all time, and needless to say, we both cried our eyes out. It was magical. I ran into the cast of the ballet at lunch this weekend too!



My friend Alena, who is gorgeous and from the Navajo tribe, invited me to the Living Legends performance, which was a Native and Latin American and Polynesian dance performance. Again, incredible.



On Friday I attended a Pow Wow at BYU, where the Native American dancers faced off in a dance competition. I ate an authentic Navajo taco and bought some handmade gifts for myself. I talked to the vendors and got to know their stories, where they were from, and a little about their culture and the art of their handmade crafts. Handmade jewelry, a beaded headband, a pillow case, and a purse were among my purchases.



Saturday morning, I went to the gym and then surprised my grandpa on his class field trip up Rock Canyon. He's a professor of Geology at BYU. We showed up to hike and learn about the canyon with his classes.



Then I went on a short walk on the Provo River Trail, which is the most beautiful scenery in Provo. And I learned on Saturday that it's also where all the shady people in Provo hang out.

The Hindu Holi Festival of Colors was this weekend too. Chani and I went on Saturday evening and it was amazing. Thousands of people show up to dance, party, and throw colorful powdered chalk in celebration of the coming of Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment